|Although a very smart looking uniform, the men were
sometimes referred to as Salvation Army personnel. It didnt last long as the Highway
Patrol merged with the State Police in that same year and a new uniform was adopted for the
Motor Police Organization
||Acts 168, 230, and 296 empowered the Pennsylvania
Department of Highways to organize a State Highway Patrol in
1923.The State Highway Patrol was enacted to take the lead in enforcing highway laws.
The regulation uniform of the Highway Patrol consisted of: blouse, breeches with black
stripe running along outside leg, cap, puttees,
.38 caliber Colt side arm, and ornaments. Uniform pieces were made of a lighter gray
material than that used by the Pennsylvania State Police from
A black shoulder belt and holster was worn in accordance with U.S. Army regulations. The
regulation shoe was black, with boxed toe. The patrol badge was worn on the left breast of
the uniform blouse and shirt.
In 1937, the State Highway Patrol radically changed the appearance of their regulation
uniform from the conservative gray color to a midnight blue. The enlisted mans
uniform sported red diagonal trim on the lower
sleeves, thin red line along the outside edges of the breeches, red outlined the
epaulettes, the top of the cap, and was shown as a red triangle on the collars.